March 15, 2011

No Bad Race For me

A Reply from me to an email about someone in my running group having a "bad" race:

As far as I'm concerned,  I am happy to just be out there doing what I do. Then again, I am not the most competitive person on the planet, but each and every time I cross the finish line I am proud of myself.   Sure, it is obvious that I have better race days and times than others, but like Marc said, just use each race as a learning experience.  If you did great, what did you do? If you didn't do so hot, why not?  The worst thing to do is beat yourself up for completing something that many people only wish they could do.
One time I was having great difficulty completing a 9 mile run and it was thanks to Coach Judy (you are the best!!) that I was even able to finish.  I learned from that experience I was not eating a proper (for me) breakfast. After speaking with Judy and Halley on this topic I tweaked my pre-long run and pre-race meals and have been fine ever since. 
During that difficult day, Judy also made me realize again that I was in a very small percentage of people who woke up on Sunday morning and went running that distance--or went running, period.  That fact has stuck with me ever since.  

So, I know I am never going to win first place, but to me, winning is being able to run with great people, be physically active, and cross the finish line injury free and all in one piece.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment