March 3, 2011

Don't Want A Bench

In dedication to my mom there now sits a bench. It is a "memorial bench" complete with an enscribed plaque and all.  It is a symbolic gesture from some friends who did not get to say a proper goodbye. I know they are being nice, but all I can think is they can't possibly miss her as much as I do.

Still, I struggle with the idea of a material good standing in for a human being--all I can see is the cold, hard, steel which is quite the opposite of my mother. She was soft, warm, and loving.

This new green and black bench sits in the shade of a gigantic evergreen bush on the first hole at Palm Hill Country Club. People will use it to get out of the hot, Florida sun. They will use it to rest their tired feet and they will use it to sit and comtemplate life...Maybe they will see the plaque and remember my mom, maybe they won't.

Yet, the bench simply cannot replace my mother--nothing in the whole wide world could ever do that. And, honestly I don't want the stupid bench--I want my mom back!!

No comments:

Post a Comment