February 23, 2011

Not So Average, After All

When I first created this blog, my husband was insulted. He thought I was implying that my life (or our life together) was rather boring and ordinary. So, he kept insisting that it was indeed far from average, and  provided me with endless examples to make his own viewpoint valid. For example: we have been Cave Tubing in Belize, Scuba Diving in the Caribbean, and Skydiving on both the East and West Coasts. We have made two cross country trips in the same year, via different routes taking us through approximately 20 states. We have taken a couple of cruises to exotic locations, and planned countless other family vacations. We have also been blessed with two wonderful families, and privileged to reside in both the great states of Florida and California.

Yet, I can list a bunch of commonplace tidbits about myself that are aligned with the typical lifestyle of American women. I am both a wife and mother, I also have two college degrees and hold a job. I  perform routine household chores, cook for my family, etc. I am also the owner of a couple of pets and have several artistic hobbies, but they are always changing because I get bored easily.

 I also recognize that because I am simply living my own life and not viewing it through the eyes of an outsider, I tend to forgot how fortunate I really am. I often take things for granted, and at times, really think my life is lackluster.  However, when I truly reflect upon it, my life has often been full of great adventure and is really rather extraordinary.

Fortunately, I understand that I can still count my lucky stars even though I have also lived through certain tragedy and extreme sadness. Yet, in the end, it doesn't matter whether or not my life is "average" or not, what really counts is if I am enjoying the journey.  Today, I can acknowledge that I truly am.......

No comments:

Post a Comment