January 11, 2011

1/11/11--To Settle or Not to Settle

Just yesterday I was struggling to board down a snow covered mountain because, unfortunately, I had somehow lost all the abilities I acquired last season. It didn't matter how, when, and where I wanted my snowboard to go, it would not cooperate.  I spent more time crashing to the ground than I did cruising down the mountain.

 Now, I am not normally a quitter, but I was so upset at my skill deficiency I vowed to end my snowboarding practices once and for all. As a matter of fact, before I even made it back to the lodge, my boarding gear was already sold on Craigslist and I was ready for a new hobby.

My husband and son tried to talk me out of giving up the sport, but for me, it wasn't actually about quitting.. it was about "settling." I'm not sure how, between pounding my fists in the snow during a fit of rage and becoming sick and tired of only being mediocre at so many things, I made a connection.   I thought about settling in other areas in my life and I am still not sure if that is just what one does because it is human nature or if its because it seems like the easiest way to proceed for the time being.

After an evening of thinking about settling with being only mediocre at snowboarding, I made myself a deal.  This morning I signed up for a lesson with the idea that if I didn't see any improvement, I really would get rid of my snowboarding gear once and for all.  Yet, lo and behold, the Snowboarding Gods must have wanted me to stick it out because today is the day I performed better than ever before.  So, lucky for my snow gear, it is stuck with me.  And what's more, I am already planning my next trip back to Tahoe in the near future because the more I ride, the better I will become and I won't have to settle in this arena any longer. One down.. many more to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment