January 18, 2011

Stuck On Stuff..

Why is it that we are so attached to stuff?  For me, it is a convenience thing-- afterall, there may be a chance that I might need something in the future and if I get rid of it, then I won't have it. So, in my crazy way of thinking, it makes more sense to store boxes and boxes of stuff that I never open anyhow, than to just go out and buy the one thing I really want to utilize.

 However, I also own important stuff that attaches me to my past. For example, I am storing tons of books, files and manipulatives from former my teaching jobs even though I have no intention whatsoever of returning to the classroom setting.  Then, there are all of the clothes and shoes stuffed into my closet which would create some amazing outifts if I would only find the time or a place to actually wear them.  I am sure that I probably don't even fit into many of the clothes I have been saving for longer than a couple of years..but maybe someday...

The irony of it all is that just recently I decided to free myself of some of this stuff. As I was in the process of cleaning out my closet, I came across a purse I no longer used and when I dumped out its contents,  there was a little card inside. It was blank on one side, but when I flipped the thing over, on it was printed only one word..."RELEASE!"   Now if that isn't a sign that it is time to let go of some things, I don't know what is...

No comments:

Post a Comment