January 10, 2011

Catching Up...

Since I created this blog ten days into the new year, I need to catch you up on the first nine...here are  some highlights from what I remember best....

January 1:
I woke up without a hangover because of what my husband called a "lame" New Years Eve. This was spent at my dad's house in Florida. My brother Jason, his wife Alison and their two young children were also in town for a whirlwind vacation visit.  We did enjoy a most delicious, homecooked meal of fresh seafood and devoured a bazillion raw oysters as both appetizers and dessert. Because our stuffed bellies were making us tired, we had to play cards so that we could stay awake way past ten o'clock to watch Dick Clark, the old puppet on a string, drop the ball. What's more, we didn't even open the two bottles of champagne we bought specifically for the occasion...and as my husband also points out, we didn't enjoy them as mimosas at any point afterward.

Now back to the first day of 2011:  They say that whatever you do on the first day of the new year is what you will be doing all year. I did spend part of the day happily visitng with my family, but I also spent much of it alone (hmmmm...).  I took a long walk in one of my favorite parks (Taylor Lake) and then had a deliciously long nap. I guess one could conclude that although it was rather uneventlful, it was a much needed day of rest and self-care--which I definitely intend to better incorporate into my lifestyle in the upcoming year. 

January 2:
This was our last full day of our vactaion in Florida. Of course, the weather turned cloudy as soon as Will put on his swimsuit and headed to the pool--go figure.  Yet, I didn't mind because I got to spend the day with one of my favorite people on this planet--my grandma! She still works in the proshop of a small 9 hole golf course in Largo, FL, where she has been employed for the last 40 years. My grandma, Bonnie, is one of the most amazing people I know and you will hear much more about her as my year progresses.

January 3:
On our last day in Florida, I took my grandma to get her stitches out. She had surgery two weeks prior to have a steel plate and eight screws removed from her ankle, which she severely broke a decade earlier.  A screw was coming unscrewed from the plate and was protruding out of her skin.  Therefore, the doctor decided to remove the whole gosh darn thing. My dad said it was the only time he could say "his mother-in-law had a screw loose" and get away with it.  Later that day, my family and I boarded the plane heading back to California. I had tears in my eyes and great sadness in my heart because it is always so hard to leave my hometown and travel all the way across the country to where we reside now.

 January 4:
My husband and I had to go back to work this day without an opportunity to adjust to the three hour time difference. However, the bonus of my job is that I was able to spend the day working in my jammies, whereas, my husband had to get dressed in his uniform and actually GO to work.  I must say I really love my job! Oh, and don't tell my husband this (because he gets jealous) but I didn't put "real" clothes on all day. My jammies were the perfect outfit for me because I did not leave the house once...Thank goodness for the nature of my job, the invention of computers, and my capacity to work from remote locations.

January 5:
Wednesdays and Thursdays are the days I actually drive into work, so this day I actaully got dressed and went to work. The day was busy with family meetings and catching up with co-workers, but I had a great time.  The weather was really cold, but the sun was shining, so I was happy. All the cold weather in Florida made it easier to return to the chilly temps here. That evening was a big ordeal for me because I got to go on my first run in over six months with the Fleet Feet running group. It is such a pleasure for me to finally be getting back into running again, but it is even more enjoyable when running a great group and carb loading afterwards.   I was so elated to be wearing my running shoes again as I have been working through hip bursitus and a mysterious hamstring injury...

January 6:
Another day where I went into work. However, I also enjoy Thursdays because I meet with the families on my roster, and I also tutor on this day. I love seeing the progress these young readers are making. It really makes my job fullfilling and worthwhile. 
On Thursday evening, my family and I went to the gym.  It was our first time going together because we just joined. I participated in a NIA body awareness class while Will and Grover worked out on the weight machines.  Afterwards, I relaxed in the sauna and then soaked in the hot tub. By the time I returned home, I felt wonderful. I am predicting now that joining the gym will be very beneficial for my family.........

January 7:
Grover and I visited Will for lunch at the Coast Guard Base where we all proceeded to stuff our faces at the Seafood Buffet.  Every Friday the Coasties in the cooking school dish out a smorgasboard of seafood and every Friday I swear to myself that I am not going to over eat. Yet, every Friday, guess what I do?  As a matter of fact, I ate so much food that I was still full when I met a friend that evening for dinner and drinks.  It really didn't matter that I couldn't finish my dinner though,  because I had leftovers for the next day and we ended up having so much fun, we needed to take taxi home.  Need I say more?

January 8:
Even though I stayed out late the night before, I managed to wake up early and drag myself out of bed so that my husband and I could go bike riding with some friends.  We cruised on our bikes through sub zero temps (not really, but it sure felt like it) down the Joe Rodata Trail and into Graton where we all enjoyed a most scrumptious breakfast together.  I have to say that it was really difficult to leave the warmth of the cafe' to endure the cold ride back home.  However, the highlight of that day was actually returning home to a steaming hot shower and putting my pj's on, which I then proceeded to stay in for the rest of the day while lazing about the house.

Janurary 9: 
Wow, this post brings us to yesterday.. the final day before I had the idea to create this crazy blog...
Anyhow, yesterday morning I joined a group of pals for a run out at Pt. Rayes.  I wasn't sure how my injury would hold up to the longest run yet (8 miles) but Pt. Rayes is such a beautiful place, I could not resist.
The run out was fine, but the run back was quite painful.  It was a good thing that I was surrounded by such great friends...or I would have really been depressed.  I am tired of being injured, but I only have myself to blame for waiting so long to do something about it.  
The rest of yesterday was crap.. we were supposed to leave for our Tahoe trip last night, but some misunderstandings, a communication breakdown, and some unreasonable expectations were a recipe for disaster.  Well not a real disaster, just an explosive argument that stopped us from leaving as planned.

Yet, here we are, and maybe if we would have actually left yesterday afternoon, I would not have been thinking about my goals and decided to create this blog. So, as some may believe, "Everything happens for a reason."

No comments:

Post a Comment