January 22, 2011

Social Biking

Today I met a man named Robert. We were both waiting to take a cycling workshop at the gym, so we started talking as a way to pass the time. At some point during our conversation we were discussing how exercise, in general, can be quite the social activity.  We continued bantering back and forth about which activities promoted the most enjoyable time spent with friends. Robert was all in favor of running because he insisted it was easier to have a conversation, and I couldn't disagree. We also both decided that swimming was definitely one of the least social and others such as soccer and skating were somewhere in between.

As we watched the other members of our group get properly fitted to their cycles, we continued conversing about the social dynamics of cycling. His train of thought was that riding one's bike isn't much of a communal activity. Whereas, I think cycling fits right up there next to running on the "ability to exercise and socialize at the same time" scale. 

After a small debate, Robert whipped out his iPhone and showed me a picture of his bike which happened to be some fancy pants, super expensive brand cycle...This led to a one-sided conversation about how far he rode and how often.  It was at this point I realized the reason why he didn't think cycling was much of a collective activity--he was a competitive man riding at a competitive pace.  For him, riding his bike was more of a job than a leisurely event shared with good friends. I no longer felt the need to debate this topic, but was secretly happy that cycling with friends at a dawdling pace is one of my most favorite activities.

Later that same afternoon, I accompanied my friend Holly as she broke in her brand new rode bike. While we cruised along, we conversed about all sorts of thought provoking topics--from failing friendships to our excitement about the upcoming trail running group we are both a part of. We laughed and rode, rode and laughed. Somewhere along our route I recalled my earlier discussion with Robert. I then I looked at Holly and myself on our "entry level" bikes, cruising along at an easygoing pace on the creek side trail. We were taking in the amazing scenery and giggling like two young school girls.  And at that moment in time, I was so very grateful for my not-so-competitive nature and my ability to be engaged in two of my favorite activities at the same time--riding my bike and sharing good times with a great friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment